Itchy bum hole is in most cases a symptom of an underlying cause. At night, or after a bowel movement, an itchy can be a sign of an infection or a worm. The persistent need to scratch your bottom medical known as pruritus ani can be annoying, and it is often made worse by warmth. You may experience bleeding which is a severe case of scratching a very itch bum at night. The post, provides in detail the symptoms, causes and how to treat including home remedies to get rid.
Poor hygiene, vaginal discharge, viral and bacterial infection are some causes of the itching. Here are some cause of the symptoms, treatment and at home remedies, you might try to get rid of the itching at home.
Very Itchy bum hole at night
- Very Itchy bum hole at night
- Itchy bum hole symptoms
- Itchy bum hole causes
- 1. Bacterial infection
- 2. Atopic dermatitis
- 3. Hemorrhoids
- 4. Fungal infection
- Itchy bum hole after poo
- Itchy bum hole worms
- Itchy bum hole not worms
- Itchy bum hole and bleeding
- Itchy bum hole child
- Itchy bum hole during pregnancy
- Itchy bum hole treatment
- Itchy bum hole cream
- Itchy bum Hole Home Remedies
- 1. Keep your bottom clean and dry
- 2. Boost your fiber intake
- 3. Apple cider vinegar
- 4. Coconut oil
- 5. Aloe Vera gel
- 6. Natural yogurt
- 7. Epsom salt
A Very itchy bum hole at night can be annoying, and cause lack of sleep. If urgent treatment is not considered in time, the itching could lead to bleeding and oozing due to the irresistible able to scratch your skin.
At night, the itching ca be made worse by using harsh soap, dry wipes, irritating clothes and failure to keep your anal area clean and dry. Continued scratching can also worsen the symptoms and even increase the risk of transmitting the infection not only to other parts of the body but also to other people. A good example is pinworm infection which is highly contagious
Common causes of very itchy bum hole at night would include:
- Candida or yeast infection
- Anal cancer
- Lichen sclerosis
- Anal psoriasis
- Anal fissure
- Anal herpes
Itchy bum hole symptoms
The symptoms of an itchy bum hole will vary depending on what the underlying cause is, the symptoms can be mild in some case and severe in others, the common symptoms accompanying the itch will include the following:
- Rectal bleeding
- Mild to severe pain
- Itching around the bum hole
- Painful lumps around the anus
- Feeling of burning sensation
- Blood in stool
Itchy bum hole causes
Anal itching is common problem that affects both men and female, children and adults. The itching can occur at any age, it is however common in people between 30 and 50 years. In most people, the condition can be as a result of skin or a medical complication.
Here are some of the most common causes of itchy bum hole.
1. Bacterial infection
Bacterial infection is a common cause of itching. Streptococcal bacteria that causes streptococcal infection can be the underlying cause of the anal itching. In treatment of a bacterial infection, your health care provider will take a sample to identify the type of the bacteria causing the infection
If the cause of the itching is in dead a bacterial infection, your doctor may prescribe both oral and topical antibiotics depending on how severe the infection is.
2. Atopic dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis or eczema is a skin condition characterized by red itchy skin. This condition is common in children but can occur in anybody regardless of age.
In both children and adults, treatment for this condition centers on rehydrating the affected skin. This may involve the use of emollients like petroleum jelly and topical steroids. This may help relieve the skin of the itching and inflammation. In severe cases of itching, oral antihistamines can be used.
Hemorrhoids are swollen veins or group of veins in the region of the anus. Though the actual cause of the swelling is unknown, hemorrhoids are said to have a number of causes. Common causes include straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy.
Apart from anal itching, other symptoms of hemorrhoid will include:
- Painless bleeding during bowel movement
- Irritation around the bum hole
- Swelling around anus
- Painful lumps or bumps around bum hole
Treating the hemorrhoids is the best way to get rid of the anal itching. What you need to do is eat high fiber food, drink plenty of water, avoid straining during bowel movements and make sure to perform light exercise every now and then.
4. Fungal infection
Apart from bacterial infection, fungal infection such as Candida albicans could be the source of the itching. This can include skin conditions such as vaginal thrush and diaper rash. These conditions are often marked with symptoms such as itching, irritation, and swelling.
Common fungal infection causing anal itch can be treated with oral and topical antifungal depending on how severe the infection is.
Itchy bum hole after poo
Anal fissure which occurs after poo can be the cause of the itchy bum hole felt after poo. An anal fissure is a small tear or cuts in the skin lining if the anus. Apart from the itching, an anal fissure can be showed by pain and rectal bleeding during and after bowel movement.
According to WebMD, if the fissures are caused by constipation or diarrhea, then you can change a few habits to help lessen the strain on the anal canal. You can do this by:
- Drinking plenty of water and eating fruits and vegetables to stay hydrated.
- Eat plenty of fiber foods to avoid constipation
- Laxative can also help I cases of constipation
- Avoid straining during bowel movement
- For chronic constipation, you will need to get treatment as soon as possible.
- Say no to irritants such as harsh soaps
Itchy bum hole worms
Pinworm infection is a common cause of itching around the anus. This is an infection in which tiny worms infest the intestine and lay eggs around the anus. These worms are white in color and less than half an inch long. This infection is the most common type of worm infection in humans.
These worms are very contagious, one becomes infected with pinworms by unintentionally ingesting pinworm eggs. In the body, the eggs remain in the intestine until they hatch and mature. A female pinworm will then move into the colon and exit the body through the anus.
This infection can affect all people regardless of age. Most adults do not experience symptoms of this infection, in children, however, the infection can be shown by the following symptoms:
- Itching around anal area
- Pain and skin irritation
- The presence of pinworms in stool
Oral medication is used to effectively treat this infection. If one of person is infected, then all those living in the household needs treatment at the same time to prevent reinfection.
Itchy bum hole not worms
Though pinworm infection is highly contagious, not all cases of itchy bum hole are as a result of worms. Other cause of the itching as mentioned will include hemorrhoids, infection, poor hygiene, wearing tight irritating clothes among other causes.
Before you attempt to treat the itching, the best way is to have a professional health care provider more specifically a dermatologist look at and diagnose the condition to establish what the actual cause of the itching is.
For mild cases of itching, there are simple home remedies you can use at home to relieve and soothe the skin of the itching. Also, you can use over the counter creams and gel to keep the itching under control.
Itchy bum hole and bleeding
Itchy bum hole and bleeding are more likely caused by hemorrhoids (piles). These are swollen vein located around the anus. These swellings can cause pain, severe itching and difficulties sitting down. Other symptoms include fecal leakage, painful bowel movement and itchy painful swelling around the anus.
Hemorrhoids can be caused by consistent heavier lifting being obese or overweight, lots of straining during bowel movement among others. Avoid this causes may help reduce the risk of developing hemorrhoids.
If the cause of the anal itching is hemorrhoids, then you need to avoid using soap t clean the area around your anus. In treating hemorrhoids, over the counter painkillers can be used. Boost your fiber intake, if natural fiber are not enough, then fiber supplement can be used.
Itchy bum hole child
The common cause of itching in children is pinworm infection. Other causes would include poor hygiene, wearing clothes that irritate the skin around the anus and diaper rash. According to Mayo clinic, a diaper rash is common form of inflamed skin that appears as a pat work of bright red skin on a child’s bottom.
In case of diaper rash causing the itching, you need to seek medical attention if:
- The rash is severe or appears unusual
- The rash bleeds or oozes
- The rash is accompanied by fever
Itchy bum hole during pregnancy
Different changes take place during pregnancy. Hemorrhoids and anal fissure are some of the common cause of anal itching in pregnant women. Regardless of what the cause of the itching is, agent medical attention should be sort to try and keep things under control.
You will need to keep you anal region clean and dry at all times. Rather than using dry wipes, it would be good if you used water after bowel movement. Avoid wearing irritating clothes that could worsen the condition. Finally, with itchy bum hole during pregnancy, say no to harsh soap and long hot water baths.
Itchy bum hole treatment
Treating an itchy bum hole often depends on what the underlying cause of the symptoms is. This will also depend on how severe the symptoms are. Severe symptoms will call for a more detailed treatment, whereas mild itching can be treated at home with natural remedies.
The best way to treat the, therefore, starts by identifying what the cause is, then treat the actual cause. Before you attempt to treat the bum itch, have your doctor diagnose the problem, identify the cause then prescribe the cause.
Itchy bum hole cream
Depending on what the underlying cause of the itch is, treatment for such symptoms according to the National Health Services, United Kingdom, will in most case involve simple self-care measures. This involves making sure your bottoms are clean and dry.
Depending on how severe the itching is, there are some creams that might help relieve the itching together with the irritation. These creams should not be used for long as they may start to harm your skin.
Some of the creams you might use to relieve the itching include the following:
- Topical corticosteroids, a mild topical corticosteroid might be used if the skin around the anus is sore and inflamed as a result of the itching. Applying this cream directly on the affected area will help relieve the inflammation, stop the itching and the continuous urge to scratch.
- Over the counter or prescription soothing ointment, this cream are often applied in the morning and at night. You can also apply them after bowel movement.
- Other anti-itching creams can also be used to try and ease, if the itching persists, it would be nice to have a professional health care provider examine the problem as soon as possible.
Itchy bum Hole Home Remedies
As mentioned, treatment for itchy bum hole will often involve following simple self-care measures. At home, there simple steps and remedies you can use to relieve the symptoms. The success of these simple remedies will depend on what the underlying cause of the itching is in the first place.
To relieve itchy bum hole at home, you need to:
With itchy bum hole, use water to gently clean your anus and the surrounding skin. Make sure to clean your anus after every bowel movement and before going to bed.
Do not use harsh or perfumed soap. Also use cold water to help relieve the irritation, after that, dry the surrounding area with a clean towel or dry wipe. Avoid vigorously rubbing the anal area as this may irritate the skin.
2. Boost your fiber intake
Boosting your fiber intake is the other thing you will need to do at home. Doing this will help keep your stool regularly and well formed. It also helps prevent loose stool and straining during bowel movements. Loose stools can irritate the anus for most people, on the other hand, straining to pass hard stool may cause hemorrhoids which can worsen the condition.
To boost your fiber intake you need to ingest a lot of grains, pulses, oats, fruits, and vegetables.
Other things you will need to do would include:
- Wear loose fitting clothes to avoid the irritations
- Maintain proper hygiene by showering or bathing on a daily basis
- Do not wear underwear when your bottom is still wet
- Avoid scratching you itchy bum skin, alternatively, you will need to keep your fingernails short to prevent damaging your skin from scratching
- Avoid irritants such as harsh soaps, perfumed soap, and deodorants.
You can also try the following natural remedies
3. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the most commonly used home remedy today. Apple cider is said to contain great anti-itching, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties. When used on itchy anal bum, ACV will not only help soothe the itching but also reduce the inflammation in cases of hemorrhoids, relieve the irritation and the burning sensation that might accompany the itching. The remedy can also help fight and prevent infection that might result from scratching the area around your bum hole.
There is two way you can use this remedy, you can dilute the solution and drink it, this will help alkalize the body, or you can apply it on the affected area of the skin. To do that:
- Add a cup of apple cider solution in a bathtub full water
- Gently mix and soak your body in the solution for 30 minutes
- Alternatively, you can apply small amount of ACV to the affected area using clean cotton ball
- It is not a one-time remedy, you will need to repeat twice in a day for at least a week to reap the full benefits of the remedy
4. Coconut oil
Coconut oil is another great natural remedy you might use to relieve anal itching. It is also a great antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial making it a great home remedy for fighting infections causing the itching. This remedy can also help expel intestinal worms.
All you need to do is make sure you eat 3-4 tablespoon of extra-virgin oil daily. You can also do this by cooking with the oil. The other option of using the remedy will be to rub some warm coconut oil around the itchy bum hole twice or thrice a day.
5. Aloe Vera gel
Just like apple cider vinegar and coconut oil, aloe Vera has soothing and calming properties that can work well for anal itching at home. Aloe Vera contains anti-itching and anti0inflamamtory properties that can help relieve itching and inflammation when used as a home remedy.
- Slice a piece of aloe Vera lengthwise
- Drain the gel in cup then
- Clean your bottoms with Lukewarm water and dry it by patting with a clean towel
- Gently rub the gel on the infected area
- Do this every few hours to completely get rid of itching and soreness
6. Natural yogurt
If the cause of the anal itching is a yeast infection, then best and most effective remedy you can try is yogurt. Take note, that not all types or yogurt are beneficial, the one to be used as a remedy should probiotic yogurt. The bacterias in the yoghurt help control the growth of the infection.
- Simply rub the pain yogurt around the bum hole after cleaning and drying the area.
- Leave it overnight
- Rice the yogurt off by using lukewarm water then dry the area thoroughly
- Also eat a cup of the probiotic yogurt daily
7. Epsom salt
An Epsom salt bath can be a great way to handle anal itching. This remedy if the itching is caused by skin condition such as eczema, psoriasis or as a result of hemorrhoids. An Epsom salt bath can help relieve and soothe the bottom of symptoms such as itching, burning sensation, and inflammations.
To use Epsom salt, you need to:
- Add 2 cups of pure Epsom salt in a bathtab filled with water
- Soak the salt in until all of it dissolves
- Soak your body in the water for 30 minutes
- You need to do this twice a day until the itching clears
Sources and references
- Itchy bottom causes, symptoms: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Itchybottom/Pages/Introduction.aspx
- Anal itching, causes, treatment and home remedies:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/168728.php
- Causes of anal itching:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/168728.php
- Itchy bottom treatment:http://www.webmd.boots.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/itchy-bottom
- How to get rid of itchy anus:https://healdove.com/disease-illness/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Pinworms-Itchy-Anus