Ingrown hair scars on legs is a common consequence of having ingrown hair bumps. These bumps occur when hair curls back or grows sideways into the skin. The bumps can occur on any part of the body with hair. They are however common in people with coarse and curly hair.
How then can you get rid of these scars on legs and other parts of the body? In this topic, we explore some of the ways one can use to get rid of ingrown hair scars on legs, pubic area, inner thighs, and stomach and on the bikini line. We have also provided some treatment options your health care provider can use to get rid of the bumps.
Ingrown Hair Scars on Legs, Inner Thigh
- Ingrown Hair Scars on Legs, Inner Thigh
- How to Remove Ingrown Hair Scars from Legs
- Ingrown Hair Scars on Stomach
- Here’s how to get rid of ingrown hair scars on stomach.
- 1. Apply non-comedogenic oils
- 2. Bleaching the affected area
- 3. Anti-scar creams
- Ingrown Hair Scars on Bikini Line, Pubic Area
- The causes of ingrown hair scar on bikini line, pubic area
- Ingrown Hair on C Section Scar
- Ingrown Hair Scars Pictures
- Ingrown Hair Scars Removal
- 1. Exfoliating
- 2. Surgical removal
- 3. Laser removal
- 4. Cortisone creams
- 5. Lightening creams
- 5. Ingrown Hair Scars Treatment
- a) Baking soda paste
- b) Essential oils
- c) Oatmeal paste
- d) Honey
- e) Aspirin paste
- f) Apple cider vinegar
- How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair Scars – video
Ingrown hair scars are quite common. Though they can be very painful and annoying to have, the bumps are not life-threatening or contagious. As mentioned, ingrown hair scars occur as a consequence of an ingrown hair bump.
For most people, an ingrown hair develops after shaving. In such cases, an ingrown hair bump occurs when hair curls around and grows back into your skin instead of raising up the surface. Ingrown hair on legs and inner thighs can cause scarring and an even skin tone. These bumps can also lead to the following:
- Skin infection
- Mild to severe itching
- The presences of painful fluid filled bumps on legs and inner thighs
- Skin irritation
- Painful inflammation and swelling
After shaving, the sharp edge of hair may cut through the skin and start growing back to the skin. Poor hygiene, wearing irritating clothes and poor methods of shaving greatly contributes the formation of ingrown hair.
So how does a scar occur on legs after the development of an ingrown hair bump? You need to understand that scarring is a natural part of healing. Scaring is protective mechanism in which your immune system help protect blood loss and infection after a cut or an injury.
After the formation of an ingrown hair, the area may become infected and pus filled. The area may also become itchy making people feel the urge to continue scratching the skin. This in most cases is what leads to scarring, leaving behind areas of the skin discoloration after the ingrown hair is healed.
On legs and inner thighs, the discolored scars can be embarrassing. You do not have to worry. One can easily get rid of the ingrown hair scars at home by following a simple skin care routine. The skin care routine works by softening the scarred tissues, scabs away the soften tissues and tones the skin. This process also increases the rate at which the skin cells turn over.
How to Remove Ingrown Hair Scars from Legs
What do you need to remove ingrown hair scars? The location of an ingrown hair can leave some people feeling self-conscious. These areas can include on along the bikini line, on face, and on pubic area. Though the appearance of the scars can improve over time, there are some simple things you can do to get rid of an ingrown hair scar.
If the scars do not improve after two weeks, you need to have a professional dermatologist look at it as soon as possible. There are two options you can use to remove and get rid of ingrown hair scars on legs. At home, you can use natural remedies or conventional treatment to get rid of the scars.
When using natural remedies, removing the ingrown hair scars will involve:
- Applying lemon juice to lighten the dark scars on legs and inner thighs
- Rubbing your legs and other affected parts of the skin with aloe Vera gel. This may help reduce itching, irritation, and redness as well as get rid of the colored ingrown hair scars
- You can also remove the scars by holding a green tea bag above the scar. Green tea is an antioxidant that may help promote healing of tissues. it may also help reduce the appearance of the scars
- Wiki how to suggest using an essential oil such as lavender oil. They say lavender oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that may help promote scar healing
The option of getting rid of ingrown hair scars from legs and inner thighs is by using conventional treatment options. In this option of ingrown hair scar removal, it may involve using prescription and over the counter creams and gels. Here you will need to:
- Apply cortisone cream to the red ingrown hair scar on leg, inner thighs, pubic are or other parts of the body
- You can use a natural lightening cream. The lightening creams may help lighten the dark scar and eventually get rid of them
- Before going out, make sure to apply a sunscreen. Too much sunlight can cause the scars to darken. Over exposure to direct sun rays also slows down the healing process of ingrown hair scar
- Stop picking or scratching the ingrown hair bumps to prevent scarring.
Ingrown Hair Scars on Stomach
Ingrown hair can occur on any part of the body. On stomach, ingrown hair scar can be caused by ingrown hair that develops due to fluctuating hormonal level, damaging of the hair follicles from wearing ill-fitting clothes among other causes.
Here’s how to get rid of ingrown hair scars on stomach.
The following are ways to get rid of ingrown hair scar on stomach
1. Apply non-comedogenic oils
Applying non-comedogenic oils on an ingrown hair scar works by softening the discolored tissues. There are different non-comedogenic oils you can use at home. Common ones would include almond oil, olive oil, avocado oil, castor oil and coconut
When used on an ingrown hair scar, these oils help open up the clogged pores, this may help the ingrown hair grow properly.
What you need to do is apply the oil on the scar then gently massage with your fingers. Then place a hot steam washcloth and hold it over the scar for some minutes. Do this repeatedly twice a day.
2. Bleaching the affected area
For stubborn scar on stomach, you can choose to lighten them using a bleaching cream. Strong bleaching creams can lighten the appearance of scar overnight.
If you find your skin allergic to certain bleaching cream, discontinue the use and seek immediate medical attention. Do not use harmful over the counter creams. If you are not sure of which cream to use, have your dermatologist prescribe the right brand for you.
3. Anti-scar creams
The other option of getting rid of ingrown hair scar on stomach is using anti-scar creams and gels. For ingrown hair scars that fail to go away, anti-scar creams contain vitamin C and retinol which work by reducing the appearance of the scar.
Using anti-scar creams on the stomach may also help smooth and soften the skin. These creams contain hydrant that generally hydrates the skin making skin tissues more soft and supple. If you shave often, it becomes easy to remove hair after using anti-scar creams.
Ingrown Hair Scars on Bikini Line, Pubic Area
Ingrown hair as said can occur on any part of the body. They can be painful and annoying to have. On bikini line and pubic area, an ingrown hair scar can be caused by any of the following conditions.
The causes of ingrown hair scar on bikini line, pubic area
Ingrown hair scar on bikini line or pubic area can be caused by:
- Hormonal fluctuations, during puberty, menstruation cycle or during pregnancy may cause overproduction of sebum, an oily secretion of the sebaceous glands. The excess sebum may get trapped in the hair follicles making it hard for hair to penetrate to the surface of the skin. This may cause the formation of an ingrown hair.
- Poor shaving and other hair removal techniquesmay also lead to the formation of ingrown hair on pubic area and bikini line. Apart from irritating the skin, shaving sharpens the edge of a hair strand. For those with curly hair, the hair strand may bend and grown back to the skin forming an ingrown hair bump.
- Pustular psoriasiscould also contribute to the formation of an ingrown hair. Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition characterized by well-defined red plaques and white scale surface. This condition affects both males and females, adults and children.
The ingrown hair scar on bikini line could be made worse by heat rash. Heat rash in this sense is a generic group name for a number of skin problems that arise or worsen because of heat exposure or overheating.
Ingrown Hair on C Section Scar
A cesarean section or simply C-section is a type of surgery to which obstetricians, gynecologists, and surgeons resort only in extreme situation when necessary to save mother and baby’s lives.
After this procedure, it is common for a scar to occur. It might take long to heal, as such you need to avoid strenuous activities and exercises. If an ingrown hair occurs on the scar, do not attempt to get rid of it at home, instead, have your doctor look at it as soon as possible.
Ingrown Hair Scars Pictures
The appearance of an ingrown hair scar will vary from one person to the other. The size or shape of an ingrown hair scar will vary depending on your age and how strong one’s immune system is. The scar on a kid’s leg will most likely be too small in size compared to that on the legs of an older person.
Here are some images to show your how ingrown hair scars look like.
Ingrown Hair Scars Removal
For cosmetic purposes, there are some options you may opt for to get rid or remove the scars faster. Some of the ways can be expensive making it hard for some people to go for them. The following are some of the most effective ways you can try to remove the scars fast and permanently.
Exfoliating your legs involves rubbing or washing your legs, or inner thighs with a granular substance to remove dead cells from the surface of the skin. Exfoliation can help get rid of old, scarred skin. At home, there are simple natural remedies like olive oil and baking soda paste that you can use as exfoliating agents for your legs.
Exfoliating your skin not only helps get rid of ingrown hair scars but also makes your skin appear smoother and softer. It also helps skin treatment work better. To exfoliate your legs, stomach or inner thighs, you need to do the following:
- Wash your legs, inner thigh or any part of your body with the ingrown hair scars. Use lukewarm water
- Dry your skin and apply the exfoliating creams or gel
- Leave the cream on for some minutes
- After half an hour, rinse it off and apply a moisturizer with sunscreen
- Do this twice or thrice in a day
2. Surgical removal
When an ingrown hair is trapped underneath the skin, dermatologist may resolve to surgery remove the ingrown hair. There is a number of ways your health care provider can remove the ingrown hair through surgical procedures.
Common surgical procedure when removing scars includes skin grafts, excision, and laser surgery. In an excision procedure, the scar is removed by making cuts on the skin. In a skin graft, a skin piece is removed from a donor to replace the skin in a denuded area.
3. Laser removal
In the United States alone, laser removal is one of the most commonly done cosmetic procedures. In this procedure, a laser beams highly concentrated light into hair follicles. Pigmentation in the follicles absorbs the light that destroys the ingrown hair.
If you are not happy with shaving, tweezing or waxing to remove unwanted hair, laser hair removal may be an option worth considering. Laser hair removal can be effective in removing unwanted hair from the face, leg, on bikini line and other parts of the body.
4. Cortisone creams
These are ointments applied on the skin to reduce inflammation. Apart from removing ingrown hair scars, cortisone creams can be effective in treating other skin conditions such as eczema, contact dermatitis, and allergic skin reactions.
5. Lightening creams
You can also get rid of the scars by applying lightening creams. These products are also known as bleaching or whitening creams. They work by reducing the pigment called melanin (gives skin the dark color)
5. Ingrown Hair Scars Treatment
Though not life threatening, ingrown hair scars can be painful and uncomfortable to have. For most people, these scars clear up on their own with time without treatment. Using natural remedies to get rid of the scars can hasten the process.
Here are some simple home remedies you can use to get rid of ingrown hair scars at home:
a) Baking soda paste
Baking soda has a soothing effect when used on ingrown hair bumps. This remedy is rich in anti—inflammatory properties that may work to reduce swelling and redness around an ingrown hair bump. On an ingrown hair scar, baking paste can relieve itching and exfoliate hair follicles of the dead skin cells.
What you need to do is:
- Add a considerable amount of water to prepare a paste
- Gently apply the paste on the scar and leave it on for some minutes
- Rinse the paste off and make sure to leave the skin dry
- To make it even more effective, you can add oatmeal powder to the paste
- Do this repeatedly
b) Essential oils
At home, you can also use essential oils to get rid of the itching, irritation and the scar altogether. Natural oils such as almond, coconut, tea tree oil and olive oil contain strong healing properties that can help get rid of ingrown hair scar on different parts of the body.
c) Oatmeal paste
An oatmeal paste can be an effective home remedy for treating different skin complications. To use oatmeal as a remedy:
- Boil oatmeal, lemons and honey for one hour
- Gently apply the resulting thick solution over the ingrown scar.
- Give it some time for the remedy to penetrate the skin
- Rinse with lukewarm water to open up the hair follicles completely
Honey is a great antioxidant, with both anti-inflammatory and anti-itching properties. Simply apply few drops of raw Manuka honey on the scar to prevent bacterial infection, reduce inflammation and speed up the healing process of the scar.
e) Aspirin paste
Aspirin paste has been used by many people to remove acne bumps on the skin. The paste can also be used as a remedy for getting rid of ingrown hair scar on stomach, pubic area and on the bikini line.
All you need to do is:
- Crash 2-3 aspirin tablets
- Add a tablespoon of water to prepare a fine paste
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave its own for some minutes
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water
- Do this twice a day
f) Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the other remedy you can use to get rid of the scars at home. Before using apple cider on sensitive parts of the body like on the bikini line, make sure to dilute it first. Discontinue the use of the remedy if your skin becomes allergic to it.
How to Get Rid of Ingrown Hair Scars – video
- How to handle ingrown hair on legs: http://www.healthline.com/health/ingrown-hair-on-legs
- Ingrown hair scars: http://www.healtreatcure.org/ingrown-hair/ingrown-hair-scars-get-rid-bump-legs-stomach-pubic-removal/
- How to get rid of ingrown hair scars: http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ingrown-Hair-Scars
- Home remedies for ingrown hair scars: http://www.homeremediesorg.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-ingrown-hair-infection-remove-naturally/
- Removal and treatment for ingrown hair on scars: http://durablehealth.net/ingrown-hair/ingrown-hair-scars-how-rid-removal-treatment-fade-lighten-creams/